The Common Infected (L4D/L4D2)
These are the more normal looking zombies you’ll see throughout every campaign. They’re generally pretty easy to kill depending on the difficulty, but a head shot or two should do the trick in most cases. Even a good punch to the head or face will take care of business.
Uncommon Infected (L4D2 only)
There are only 7 of these and they’re all specific to one campaign, but knowing a bit about them will be a big help when you find yourself face to face with one.
1. CEDA workers in Dead Center – Wearing a green or yellow hazmat suit, immune to fire, have a chance of carrying bile bombs. HP ranges from 30-90 depending on difficulty, but they’re not too hard to kill.
2. Jimmy Gibbs Junior in Dead Center – He is wearing a white racing suit, fireproof and immune to pipe bombs and bile bombs. If attacked by him, he’ll obscure your vision with an oil slick. He has 1000 HP, so don’t bother trying anything but headshots. 5% spawn chance in the Atrium.
3. Fallen Survivor in The Passing – Wearing a blue, white or green shirt,with bullet belts around his torso. He is known to carry things such as a molotov, pipe bomb, pills or a first aid kit. Has 1000 HP, try for head shots.
4. Clown Infected in Dark Carnival – Looks like your classic creepy clown, 30-90 health depending on the difficulty. He’s an agitator, meaning he lures other common infected to your location (with his big squeaky shoes). Punch him in the face and head shot.
5. Mud Men in Swamp Fever – Basically, they’re guys covered in mud running like an animal. They run faster in water, so try to lure them out or kill them before they get to you. 30-90 HP. If attacked, your vision is blurred by mud.
6. Workers in Hard Rain – Hardhat and ear protection. They are immune to pipe bombs and bile bombs, and resistant to blunt melee. 30-90 HP, just shoot them or hack away with a Katana.
7. Riot Infected in The Parish – Decked out in riot gear, immune to frontal attacks of almost all kinds. shove them or run behind them to attack, or go at them from anywhere with a chainsaw. 30-90 HP.
Boomer (L4D/L4D2) – Covered in boils and extremely large, Boomers vomit bile on survivors, attracting commons. Killing them in close range also releases their bile all over the surrounding survivors, so try to hit them from a distance. They make a sound when they’re nearby, so listen for it and be prepared. Their low health makes them easy to kill and they’re a huge target making it hard to miss a shot.
Hunter (L4D/L4D2) – Normal looking dude in a hoodie and (cargo?) pants, pretty quiet. Just before they jump they will growl, and then pin a survivor and start wailing on them. Keep your eyes peeled, their low health doesn’t mean they’re easy to catch.
Smoker (L4D/L4D2) – These guys scream and cough, making their presence known. They catch survivors with their super long tongues and reel them in. Another survivor is needed to save you, as you become incapacitated. Smokers generally stay pretty far away so a bit of accuracy is important.
Charger (L4D2 only) – Chargers are a mini Tank, they’re big and really strong. They will knock down survivors and go for one specifically, rendering them immobile for a second or two. Get all or most survivors to just unload on him, and he’ll drop pretty quick.
Spitter (L4D2 only) – This nasty lady spits a stream of green acid at you, turning into a pool of green goo. Don’t stand in this unless you want to die. She’s pretty weak, so just get out of her line of spit and shoot away. Careful not to get too close, she leaves a pile of the same goo after death.
Jockey (L4D2 only) – The smallest infected, but very annoying. He’s a crouching, bent-back man and latches on to your shoulders to do damage. You can “resist” him by hitting a button making it easier to get another survivor to shoot him off your back.
Tank (L4D/L4D2) – Tanks are huge and terrifying. They will knock you down with one punch and can incapacitate you instantly, along with throwing large objects at you. They take the whole team to take down, so work together. If you have a molotov, set him on fire so he goes down faster. Unload your ammo on his head if you can.
Witch (L4D/L4D2) – She’s small but extremely strong and terrifying. One hit will incapacitate you, possibly even kill you. She cries from a distance, so at least you know when she’s around. Turn your flashlights off, and avoid her at all costs if you can. The one who startles her will take the most/all of her damage. If you can (ONLY once she’s startled), set her on fire with a molotov. Sometimes she spawns in a place you can’t avoid her, so man up and kill that witch.